Hurricane Preparation for Your Mobile Home
By planning an emergency strategy
ahead of time and sharing this with your family you can avoid last-minute panic that can come with the unpredictability of a hurricane or severe storm. The following items are recommendations to help better prepare your mobile home in the case of a hurricane or storm.
Keep Your Mobile Home in Good Repair
Consider Purchasing these Materials Ahead to Secure your Mobile Home:
- Clearly mark your address number on your mobile home in your community
- Know HUD certifications and understand when you need to evacuate
- Survey all mobile home tie downs and secure those where integrity is in question
- Review your roof and siding for any loose entities as high winds can cause those items to become airborne and damage your mobile home or others in your community
- Trim landscaping, especially trees, of broken or dead branches
- Clean your gutters
Broad List of Foods to Keep in Stock in Your Mobile Home
- Protective window film
- Protective plastic sheeting
- Nails (for plywood application)
- Child safety locks for cupboards to help mitigate items such as plates, glasses and canned goods from spilling out
- Large yard waste bags for larger furniture that cannot be lifted
Know Your Insurance Policy
- Two-week supply of non-perishable foods
- One gallon per person per day of drinking water for two weeks
- A flashlight with new batteries for each member of your family
- Portable radio
- First aid kit
- Coolers for food and ice
- Water purification tablets, plain chlorine, and iodine
Familiarize yourself with your current mobile home insurance
policy as you may need coverage if damage is suffered. Many policies in Florida may not include flood damage and ensure your personal property is covered in addition to your home. Take an inventory with a camera of personal property as proof of ownership when filing a claim. Store this information in a safety deposit box and/or send to an out of town friend or relative for additional safekeeping.
Jacobsen Homes are built to last
but forces of nature are often unpredictable. The best way to be prepared is to plan.
If you are considering replacing your mobile home, contact the Jacobsen Homes
team for information on customized floor plans, upgrades, and features
to create the home of your dreams.